Institute for Women's Health
Lead: Miss Adeola Olaitan
The UCLH and UCL Gynaecological Cancer Centre
The UCLH Gynaecological Cancer Centre is the focus for the North London Gynaecological Cancer Network and receives referrals from North London and beyond. The UCL department of Gynaecological Oncology led by Professor Ian Jacobs has an international research reputation.
The centre provides comprehensive care for women with gynaecological cancers:
Core multi-disciplinary specialist team providing gynaecological oncology specialist expertise:
- Four sub-speciality trained gynaecological cancer surgeons using the latest minimal access techniques.
- Specialist gynaecological radiotherapy consultants – UCLH is the brachytherapy centre for North London using HDR iridium microselector.
- Specialist gynaecological chemotherapy- recruiting to national and international trials.
- Specialist radiology and pathology services in gynaecological cancers.
- Psycho social support team consisting of dedicated clinical nurse specialists and psychologists in gynaecological cancer.
- Specialist palliative care services
- Supportive services – lymphoedema clinic, stoma nurses, social worker
- Regional Sarcoma centre with specialist gynaecological sarcoma oncologist
- Regional adolescent cancer centre with specialist links to gynaecological cancer multi-disciplinary team
- Extended team of plastic surgeons, urology and colo-rectal surgeons.
- Colposcopy and rapid access gynaecological cancer diagnostic clinics
- Familial clinic with clinical genetics expertise for those people who are at risk of developing gynaecological cancers.
The research team at UCL conduct both clinical and laboratory research:
- Clinical multi centre trials in new chemotherapy, radiotherapy, surgical and screening techniques.
Translation research laboratories looking into:
- Genetic susceptibility to ovarian cancer
- Proteomic studies
- Epigenetic studies
- Molecular Pathology studies
- Cell Biology studies
- Dendritic cell immunotherapy
- Mechanisms of platinum resist
- Expression of DNA replication licensing proteins
Page last modified on 23 feb 10 14:11