Director of the Institute for Women’s Health at UCL and Co-Director of
the Department of Health Policy Research Unit in Maternal Health and
Care, University of Oxford. I spent 100% of my time on academic
Fetal Medicine Unit
Lead: Julie Hogg
The Fetal Medicine Unit (FMU) at University College London Hospitals is internationally recognised as a centre of clinical and academic excellence. The FMU receives referrals from health professionals throughout the South East of England and is the tertiary referral unit for North Central London.
Our unit is committed to providing a service that offers parents holistic care and this has been achieved by establishing close links with allied disciplines. These include health professionals from the Neonatal Unit, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, the Institute of Child Health, the Wolfson Institute of Preventative Medicine, North East Regional Genetics Service and referring hospitals. In addition we have close affiliations with patient support groups such as Antenatal Results and Choices (ARC).
Our unit provides a comprehensive service throughout pregnancy including the following:
- Early diagnosis of fetal abnormalities
- Screening for chromosomal defects
- Invasive prenatal diagnosis for chromosomal abnormalities and genetic syndromes
- Investigation, therapy and management of suspected or known fetal abnormality
- Monitoring and treatment of women with Rhesus alloimmunisation and alloimmune thrombocytopaenia
- Regional Haemoglobinopathy Genetics Centre (Perinatal Centre) for the diagnosis of haemoglobin disorders
- Multidisciplinary clinics in cardiology, dysmorphology/genetics, neurology, surgery and urology
- Placental insufficiency and fetal growth restriction
- Management of multiple pregnancies and their complications
- Prediction and prevention of preterm delivery
These services are provided by a dedicated team of Fetal Medicine doctors and midwives who are supported by health care assistants and administrative staff to provide seamless care. The Consultant team comprises of individuals who are internationally recognised as leaders in Fetal Medicine.
The unit is committed to training and education within fetal medicine. We have three RCOG accredited posts for subspeciality training in Maternal Fetal medicine and are a recognised centre for the RCOG/RCR diploma in obstetric ultrasound. In view of the international reputation, doctors from around the world visit the unit and some are trained in fetal medicine. We have established a number of courses including the amniocentesis workshop and Dilemmas in Obstetric Ultrasound.
More information click here Fetal Medicine Unit
Page last modified on 11 dec 09 12:40 by Vijay Devineni